Jupiter's Legacy #1 Reviews
    Geekality - Julius Freeman

It's been a while since I've read anything Millar has produced because he seems to write the same book over and over again. I hope he does something different here because Quitely's skills deserve nothing but the best stories. He's a master of movement, action, and facial expressions. He really does bring the characters to life and most of us know that sometimes all you need is the perfect team to make an awesome book. We saw it with All Star Superman, Watchmen, Wanted, The Authority, and many other books I fail to mention. Here's hoping that Jupiter's Legacy is another book that will be added to that list.

Comics Are Not Dead - Comics Are Not Dead

Jupiter's Legacy is one of the best comics of the year so far. While I'm still a little hesitant on the score I'm giving, and I'm being cautiously optimistic about it, I loved Jupiter's Legacy #1. Buy it. Now.

Flip Geeks - Earl Maghirang

Overall, the first issue of Jupiter's Children had lots of everythings. There's a mysterious origin, cool superpowered fights, lots of tensions between the team and dynamic art. I've got nothing to complain with regards to this issue, only hoping that the succeeding ones just top off what's been done for Jupiter's Legacy # 1.

Comic Book Therapy - Cody "The Thorverine" Ferrell

Jupiter's Legacy lives up to the hype and then some. Frank Millar and Frank Quitely have made a mature story populated with interesting characters. Millar has crafted a great first issue populated with some of his signature touches. Jupiter's Legacy #1 sets up the tone of the series mostly, so it's hard to judge it just by itself. It's safe to say that it looks like Jupiter's Legacy will be one you have to read 5/5

Following The Nerd - Shane Kildea

I was excited to read this book when it was announced and now after the first issue I can't wait to read more. The creative team has offered a quality introduction and the teases they have given make this one of my anticipated titles to come out. Being a big ‘LOST' fan, it also helps that the book has a mysterious island! Pick this book up now.

Hyper Geeky - ClumsyG

Jupiter's Legacy feels like a heavy book. Characters discuss Obama, religion, and sex. It isn't clear " at least to me " if Millar wants to play judge, jury, or advocate. Maybe Jupiter's Legacy is a mirror reflecting society, and Millar merely wants to give ground to a discussion.

IGN - Melissa Grey

For an introductory issue, Jupiter's Legacy hits the notes it has to in terms of world-building and character development, if the action does feel a little anemic in some places. Together, Millar and Quitely have constructed a world as rich and vibrant as our own, peopled with individuals who are neither heroes nor villains. Jupiter's Legacy looks to be the sort of book that explores the shades of gray between black and white.

Adventures In Poor Taste - David Brooke

There are subtle touches at play here that, I think, will payoff once this series is over. Reading it in the single issue format will be a treat like any serial is, but I can't help but be envious of anyone out there who will discover this series once it's finished. Take for instance the costumes of the old heroes as opposed to the young. The younger ones are dressed as heroes are today, in highly revealing sexy stuff, while the older heroes seem to be from the Golden Age of comics. Little things like this, that aren't even pointed out by the characters, add dividends to this series.

Geeks Unleashed - Chris Romero

Jupiter's Legacy #1 is off to a hot start with a lot of promise to be one of the best mini-series of the year. We'll have to wait to see if it'll be worthy of such praise, but Millar and Quitely have collaborated to make an entertaining debut issue.

Bloody Disgusting - GeorgeShunick

Millar and Quitely have touched on the nature of authority in superheroes when they worked on (the appropriately titled) The Authority a decade ago. With less creative restrictions this time around, things are looking up for Jupiters Legacy.

ComicBuzz - James

This series feels like it has an awful lot to offer. There was a lot more in this first issue than I had expected. Quitely's artwork is stunning. His small mouths and strong jaws, the fine but very clear line work, the very beautiful colouring, bright and adventurous, dark and seedy, suiting the scenes as they need it is really quite fantastic.

Chuck's Comic Of The Day - Chuck

It's an interesting concept, and we can hope that the story will take a clever approach to the issues it raises. So far, I'm enjoying it - Millar hasn't tried to shock me yet - he's just telling a solid story. So far.

Player Effort - Adedayo Olomodosi

Miller and Quitely craft a terrific introduction for a series with exceptional potential.

Culture Mass - Jonathon Jacobs

Jupiter's Legacy #1 lives up to the hype and delivers an emotionally and philosophically moving introduction to this new series. This is only the beginning of a brutally honest superhero epic for our time.

Comicosity - Maxwell Majernik

Jupiter's Legacy #1 is a strong beginning to the series. The title slightly suffered from too many people to introduce and too little space on the pages. While the superhero parents is what is keeping me going to issue #2, I think the children are going to be what pulls me in for the rest of the series. Jupiter's Legacy is a title not like anything from Mark Millar and Frank Quitely and is a worthwhile way to spend $2.99.

Comic Book Bin - Leroy Douresseaux

Jupiter's Legacy is not Frank Quitely's best work, although, as usual, it is more attention-grabbing than the work of most other artists. For me, the best of Quitely remains New X-Men. Still, Quitely's visual style is so unique and iconoclastic that I'd be interested in his art even if he were only producing still-life drawings for an extension course at the local junior college. Plus, Quitely's compositions for Jupiter's Legacy give off an unsettling vibe. Something bad is coming, and Quitely does something bad quite well.

Modern Age Comics - Alexander Moser

While not much happens in the overarching story, Jupiter's Legacy is a must-read, due to the stunning artwork and the addicting writing by Mark Millar. Pick this one up now before it definitely sells out.

Weekly Comic Book Review - Minhquan Nguyen

While not the most original starting point, Millar does take the story in several interesting directions, and there's some magnificent layers of meaning to what he writes. Quitely's art is both lively and profound.

Multiversity Comics - Vince Ostrowski

Mark Millar and Frank Quitely have created a team effort in "Jupiter's Legacy" that is bringing out the best in both of their talents. Though already one of comics' greatest talents, Quitely continues to show growth as a storyteller and Millar uses his particular talents to great effect. Meanwhile, Millar avoids nearly all of his penchant for overindulgence to create a script full of big ideas without overdoing any of them. For once, Millar's usual brand of hyperbole and salesmanship might not be misplaced. With Quitely in tow, this just might turn out to be the comic book "event" of 2013.

Newsarama - Patrick Hume

The seeds of ongoing conflict are planted in the differing opinions of the Sampsons over how to best deploy themselves " altruism, authoritarianism, or hedonism " and there's at least one clear inciting event, but the narrative is not the important part of Jupiter's Legacy #1. What Millar and Quitely do here, and do so well, is show us a world where superheroes exist, yet nothing is better, then invite us to consider what that says about the way we have chosen to abdicate responsibility in favor of comfort. I wish more creators were willing to push the boundaries of the genre in such a compelling way.

iFanboy - Paul Montgomery

As for Quitely, he's showing impeccable restraint here. It's clean. It's rigid in a way that suggests a ticking clock. The violence in Jupiter's Legacy isn't entirely off panel, but so much of it is merely suggested. That's not necessarily what we've come to expect from Millar or Quitely, and that makes the subtlety all the more engaging.

Comic Book Resources - Greg McElhatton

"Jupiter's Legacy" #1 is a strong debut, one that has me far more interested than I'd have expected. While there's still a lot of world-building still to come, I feel like Millar and Quitely are on the right track. "Jupiter's Legacy" is elegantly written and drawn by Millar and Quitely; this is a book to be proud of.

Comic Vine - Tony 'G-Man' Guerrero

Mark Millar and Frank Quitely have successfully created a new superhero universe. We are treated to some new characters and a sense of mystery as we watch the events of the story unfold. Millar is known for not holding back with certain themes or ideas and it's nice to get an almost subdued level of the graphic intensity we've seen in the past. As this is an introductory issue to this world, there is a lot to juggle. We don't get a complete idea of where this will go. With the characters, art and color, you definitely want to find out more. The next issue or two may be the deciding factor of whether I like this series or love it. This could be a fun ride.

Read Comic Books - Corey Fryia

The question at hand is does Jupiters Legacy #1 live up the hype? And the only way to answer that question is by saying both yes and no. Naturally, this first issue focuses a lot on world building and there is still a lot more back storyto be told, so it may be a while before readers really get to sink their teeth into the meat and potatoes of this series. However, there is still a lot to enjoy in this issue and the cliffhanger ending is sure to drive readers back for issue #2.

Behind The Panels - Richard Gray

MIllar's short runs have always been his strength, and it will be interesting to see him once again work on an ongoing book. Jupiter's Legacy is a strong opening to what has the potential to be a terrific dissection of comics in the 21st century, a topic that Millar is well and truly familiar with at this stage in his career. A roster of compelling characters, lovingly illustrated by Quitely, certainly put this on a must-read pile for next month and the foreseeable future.

Eye On Comics - Don MacPherson

In many ways, Jupiter's Legacy carries on similar themes and notions that were expounded in Mark Waid and Alex Ross's Kingdom Come, in which the heroes of the Golden and Silver ages see their mission and ideals twisted and distorted by the modern generation of so-called "heroes." Kingdom Come seemed more like a statement about the genre itself and how grim, violent elements led to creators and readers losing sight of what made super-heroes special. Jupiter's Legacy seems to cast its critical eye more widely. Millar takes aim at a modern culture of celebrity and entitlement. Brandon and Chloe Sampson strike me as standins. They're Lindsay Lohan and Charlie Sheen and Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber and all those Kardashians; what they offer isn't so much talent but fodder for a celebrity-driven, 24-hour news cycle. Sheldon's crew represents the Greatest Generation, whereas their children seem to be the Greediest Generation.

Comics Crux - Wesley Messer

Jupiters Legacy #1 is unlike much of Mark Millars output in recent years. Its bleak, but hopeful, and doesnt rely on the shock value of his recent work. The family details of this story shine through that much more because of how subdued Millar is for this story. Im not over the moon about it, but I found myself liking Jupiters Legacy by the end. This could all change by next issue, but Im impressed by what Mark Millar and Frank Quitely did with this first issue. Jupiter's Legacy is one of the stronger projects Ive seen by Millar in awhile, now well see if he can keep it up.

Imagination Centre - John McCubbin

This was a brilliant start to the series, as although not quite as good as I initially hoped it would be, it introduced the characters and the situation of this world perfectly, having some very dramatic moments throughout. The character interaction was also amazing, with some suspenseful moments as well. Due to all this, as well as the fact that Frank Quitely's on the artwork makes this easy to recommend.

Statues And Superheroes - Steven Viscido

Overall, this was a fairly good comic that shows some promise, although it certainly didn't blow me away during the first issue. It did, however, interest me enough to read the next few and see what happens.

Graphic Policy - Brett Schenker

Overall, the issue is really good. I'm not going to gush over it as much as others have, but it's a solid start.

Stash My Comics - Leo Johnson

New readers can dig into this comic. It's completely new and has no ties to other works. If anything, the amazing art by Quitely may turn off a few potential readers because it's not the stereotypical comic style. Don't be that reader.

ComicList - Brandon Borzelli

The first spends a lot of time building up the characters. It's a slow first issue but it takes great care to set things up for future issues. The themes that Millar are tackling aren't new and don't make a lot of sense but based on his previous works he gets more time to develop these ideas. This is an average book but the art drives it up a notch. We'll have to see where this is going.

Den Of Geek! - Marc Buxton

The whole thing is a bit cynical, but not as cynical as Millar's usual work. There is a sense of wide eyed optimism in the flashback sequences, and while there Millar's usual preoccupation with sex and drugs are present, he is refreshingly restrained. No new ground is being broken here. Jupiter's Legacy is another postmodern deconstruction of the super-hero myth, but it does differentiate itself by functioning as a running contrast between the early age of super-heroes and today's complex morality.

CHUD - Jeb Delia

It's only a first issue; the story may yet take an interesting turn, the characters might step outside their cookie-cutters, some light may be shed on questions of lineage and legacy, and it promises many many more pages of art from one of today's giants, aided by a brilliant colorist. There's certainly worse ways to spend three bucks.

Comic Addicts - Akshay Dhar

If this book does turn out to be a return to form for Millar, no one will be happier than me and even more so because Frank is drawing it and did not end up drawing one of those other books.

Unleash The Fanboy - Harrison Rawdin

Ultimately Jupiter's Legacy #1 is a victim of preconceived expectations as the creative team delivers something that is a bit bloated but nonetheless worthwhile in many aspects. There's certainly a lot of promise here as this concept barrels forward and for that reason this title squeaks by with a light recommendation.

Crave Online - Iann Robinson

Despite some great art, Jupiter's Legacy is further proof that Mark Millar is not nearly as solid a writer as he thinks he is.

Comics: The Gathering - TylerM

I get the feeling that Jupiter's Legacy is the kind of book where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Each issue might not be the best thing on the shelves when it releases, but I'm sure the collection will find itself on a lot of best-of lists at the end of the year. Unless this book takes a turn for the Unfunnies side of Millar.

Comic Book Nuts - Jef Mendoza

This is a classic tale of how can children live up to their parents. These parents being superheroes. This book will probably be equal parts The Runaways, Irredeemable, and Invincible. The artwork is pretty clean and I'm loving this Bryan Hitch cover. There's one hilarious part where a villain is taken into a dream world while his body gets beat up. I've seen this done in manga and anime so I'm not surprised. However, I still think it was done very well. All the main characters seem to be jerks except for the parents, Utopian and his wife. Therefore; there's really no connection to why I should get the second issue.

Full Review

. . .$3, 20pgs. All ADs@back. Nice Noto Cover. . . . Off to a great start, this series promises a lot of depth and complex characters. Millar has risen to be one of Comic's top writers, so we should see great things here unencumbered by 'big 2' policies. However, he doesn't seem to be able to break from the 20 page issue. Quietly really shines as his art is the best part of this issue, for me. Doherty's colors compliment well, and i look forward to seeing how the artists work together.

Wonderful!