Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Universe #5

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Universe #5

Writer: Chris Mowry, Kevin Eastman, Tom Waltz Artist: Michael Dialynas, Bill Sienkiewicz Publisher: IDW Publishing Release Date: December 21, 2016 Cover Price: $4.99 Critic Reviews: 4 User Reviews: 4

Old Hob is on the hunt for his newest recruit... Leatherhead! The dangerous gator has other ideas though and a battle of the minds soon turns violent!

ComicWow!TV - Art Boorman Dec 19, 2016

It is the mark of a great storytelling to take minor events and make them fascinating. It is the mark of great storytelling to take minor characters and make readers care. Read Full Review

Word Of The Nerd - Brent Jackson Dec 21, 2016

Overall:TMNT Universe #5 is a good story and builds upon some loose threads left from the ongoing TMNT series and some of the mini/micro-series. I like the one and done story line and think that the next few issues may be like this. Following one or two characters on a little adventure and building upon some story lines from the main series. Hopefully, the art picks back up to what the standard has been set for this series as it continues on. For the first time, I can say I thoroughly enjoyed the backup story in this series and it was better than the main story! We finally have an answer to what was going on with Leonardo and it is great! Read Full Review

Flickering Myth - Chris Cooper Dec 21, 2016

This is far from a bad comic. It's written well and I like the art; especially how it depicts Leatherhead and his physicality. If it hadn't come out in the same month as a great TMNT one-shot and just followed a fantastic first arc I may have been happier with it. Effectively TMNT Universe is a victim of its own success. Read Full Review

AiPT! - Nick Nafpliotis Dec 19, 2016

To the series' credit, I do like that it seems to be branching off from simply being another TMNT title into an exploration of the many different aspects within the rich universe that Tom Waltz, Bobby Curnow, and Kevin Eastman have created. I just wish that for this particular issue, we'd gotten more than a repeated and monotonous display of what was already expected. Read Full Review

myconius Dec 21, 2016

over all i very much enjoyed this issue.
    it stuck to the themes introduced in Hob's origin in (Villain Micro-Series #3) and Leatherhead's origin in (IDW Tmnt #58) where we see creatures mistreated, abandoned, and abused.
    this issue starts with Leatherhead watching from the sewers as two of Hun's lackeys have stolen someone's family pet from their yard while they were distracted getting ready for the holidays.
    their intention is to use the dog in a gambling 'death match' dragging it to it's destination, and kicking it as it resists.

Hob is on his way to break up Hun's dog fighting match as well, though he has other intentions
    some of Hob's dialog felt a bit heavy handed, and overly obvious for people who are familiar with the series. this might be needed to introduce new readers to the character, though i'd highly recommend seeking out the Hob Micro-series which is available now in trade paperback.

Michael Dialynas does a wonderful job on the art.
    there is one panel where we see an etching Leatherhead made in the sewers that is really beautiful.
    it made me wonder if Dialynas was having too much fun rendering the panel, or if Leatherhead is really supposed to be that gifted of an artist to make such an elaborate etching?

i've really been enjoying the Back-up stories by Kevin Eastman and Bill Sienkiewicz
    i had a suspicious that this story had some relation to when Leonardo's mind was taken over by Shredder and Kitsune in the 'City Fall' arc.
    it shared some similarities to the events of IDW Tmnt issue #23.
    i'm just happy what was actually going on in the back-up story wasn't what i originally thought what was going on.
    still was satifying that it had some actual bearing on the over-all story, and wasn't just a mindless action romp.
    i was happy to see some actual Kevin Eastman art in this story. and the transition between artists was done really cool.
    definitely worth a re-read!

Gizmo Jan 15, 2017

Leatherhead and Old Hob team up, sort of. They'd make a great team if they'd work together, but clearly Leatherhead has some trust issues and Old Hob isn't exactly a good role model. I can't help but feel bad for Old Hob, getting rejected on Christmas while he's already in an emotional hole. Hun's character felt a bit off, he's never been a coward before. Hun went down like a sack of potatoes against Hob, the old Hun would have broken Hob in half in up-close combat. I like that all of these characters have changed over time and I'm looking forward to further character development.

+ LikeComments (1)
    Mister Bungle Dec 21, 2016

What is up with this art?

mseccatore Dec 22, 2016