Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Universe #17

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Universe #17

Writer: Chris Mowry Artist: Giannis Milonogiannis Publisher: IDW Publishing Release Date: December 20, 2017 Cover Price: $4.99 Critic Reviews: 2 User Reviews: 3

"From the Heart, for the Heard" Part 2 of 2. Zog and Zom discover the secret history of the Triceraton race's origin, with deadly ramifications for planet Earth!

•   Ties into the TMNT ongoing's "Invasion of the Triceratons!"
•    Part of IDW's Artist's Edition Cover Month!

AiPT! - Nick Nafpliotis Dec 20, 2017

Despite some gaps in the narrative, TMNT #17 somehow utilizes dinosaur soldiers to relay a gripping, heartfelt story. Read Full Review

Word Of The Nerd - Brent Jackson Dec 19, 2017

I might be being a little harsh on TMNT Universe #17, but this issue and the previous issue had such potential in followingthe Triceratons' rebellion against the Utrom Empire thatwhat we got was a big letdown, especiallyfor the $4.99 price tag. Really the only high point is that this storyline is over, and we get a new creative team hopping on with issue #18 who will hopefully bring TMNT Universeback to the awesome comic it has been in the past. Read Full Review

myconius Dec 20, 2017

this was kind of an interesting story about the Triceratons.

it’s only mildly interesting, but far from compelling.

aside from very sloppy unfinished looking art, another big distraction keeping me from fully immersing into the story was continuity hiccups between this story and the ‘Utrom Empire’ (a mini-series that released during the Northampton arc issues #29-32).

i’m not 100% certain of all the things that didn’t line up, but this story just didn’t feel like it shared the same world or setting as the events of ‘Utrom Empire’ did.

in the Utrom Empire version of the Krang/Zog fight, both characters are wearing completely different outfits. the artist didn't even place them in Krang's office during the fight. plus there’s also no mention of Krang’s father in this story, and he was a very major element of Utrom Empire.

there were some good themes like the loyalty and respect the Triceratons share towards one another.

i was really looking forward to the Triceratons inclusion in the IDW universe. i just wish it felt more inspired than what we seem to be getting.

(side note: this is another issue of Tmnt that has no Ninja Turtles within the story.)

call me crazy, but i just like my Ninja Turtles comics to actually have Ninja Turtles in them.

guest stars in their own comic series when they actually get to appear in an issue.

ÜberGinger Dec 22, 2017