Symbiote Spider-Man: Alien Reality #5

Writer: Peter David Artist: Greg Land Publisher: Marvel Comics Release Date: July 29, 2020 Cover Price: $3.99 Critic Reviews: 2 User Reviews: 10

Thanks to the combined efforts of Nightmare, Dormammu and the Hobgoblin, the universe is fracturing like you’ve never seen before – REALITY ITSELF IS COLLAPSING! The team behind the original SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN series closes out the second volume with a BANG! You won’t want to miss this one!

ComicBook.com - Nicole Drum Jul 29, 2020

It feels like it's been forever since the last issue of Symbiote Spider-Man: Alien Reality and this week's issue #5 is a hell of an issue to come back on. Read Full Review

Comic Watch - Matt Meyer Aug 8, 2020

Ultimately,Symbiote Spider-Man: Alien Reality #5 is a fun, though somewhat flawed conclusion to this miniseries. It doesn't necessarily earn the "symbiote" part of its title, but is a pretty unobtrusively great Spidey yarn nonetheless. Read Full Review

Psycamorean Jul 31, 2020

I wasn't looking forward to this but I ended up liking it. I liked the meta stuff about retcons. I even enjoyed the art with those splash pages. I feel like this ended on a good note, but at the same time, I still have an issue with how the symbiote is portrayed. I also don't have much interest in a third Symbiote Spider-Man miniseries. But I'll probably read it... Especially if it's connected to Knull/King in Black, as the teaser suggests.

Spacey Medicine Aug 3, 2020

I see what we are going for and like I didn’t hate it, but I also didn’t really love it. It was fine!

JS3620 Feb 5, 2021

This was a nice way to end this series after such a long hiatus. The talk about retcons was a weird yet a tangible way of bring back the Word of God, especially when it comes to the lore of the mystic arts and Doctor Strange. The 4 pages where Nightmare convinces Spider-Man to rewrite reality however he wants was a great touch to the story. Spider-Man could essentially have a world with no crime, no pain, nothing that can hurt him anymore. But instead he reverts reality back to the way it was instead. The final fight with Venom Symbiote possesses Spider-Man fighting against Mordo and Hobgoblin was awesome with a funny conclusion to end it off too. While not perfect, this series was definitely better the first one.

After so long on hiatus I was just glad to finally get this issue and story wrapped up. I didn't enjoy this Symbiote Spider-Man Mini-series as much as the last one, though it has its charm. I'm hoping for better in the next one.

CrazyforRAMU Dec 17, 2020

The coronavirus spoiled this issue's best joke: Black Widow gets magicked into a movie theater.

Onion Jul 31, 2020