X-Men: Gold #12

X-Men: Gold #12

Writer: Marc Guggenheim Artist: Luke Ross Publisher: Marvel Comics Release Date: September 20, 2017 Cover Price: $3.99 Critic Reviews: 1 User Reviews: 15

• While on a mission to apprehend the latest incarnation of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, the X-Men discovered a villain amongst their number who was a complete mystery.
•  Little did they know, the alien Kologoth was on a mission of his own!
•  Now, they're on the verge of discovering Kologoth's true nature...but will it be too late?

AiPT! - Jason Segarra Sep 21, 2017

I kind of don't understand what the goal of this issue was. It didn't set anything up, arguably answered questions that no one was asking, and tried to add depth to an evil giant lizard man by making him a parent-murdering space Nazi. Another miss for the Gold team. Read Full Review

RustonLF Sep 22, 2017

In the first issue of Gold we are introduced to a demon looking member of the new Brotherhood of Mutants. Later placed in captivity, his story slowly unfolds. He is an alien. He was under Mesmero's control. Now we get the story of why he is on Earth. Just as has been done with numerous characters he was exiled because he was a mutant. He grew up a wild man that then re-entered civilization like an otherworldly Tarzan. Eventually he is exiled again to Earth for unexplained reasons. I found the story cliche, but still kept me reading. Where his story lost me was the inclusion of a rebellion that used Nazi (like) imagery. It was just one too many used tropes. Especially after Secret Empire. I was also unclear if he was just trying to get home or now wants to take over Earth. Earth in this case is just a prison planet where he was exiled so that seems unlikely. Since we are not told however, it is still possible that this is his new plan. This had little payoff for me making it a wast of time. The story tries to make him a sympathetic and menacing villain, but he comes off as redundant. I will give the writing credit for trying to present Mojo more like he was in the Longshot solo series. He is deadly and over the top. Where this issue did shine for me was the art. The pencils did a lot with tired character designs. The colors are a good balance of bright and washed out that did not lean to heavy between cartoon or gritty. It felt like a good fit for an X title.

Granfalloon Sep 24, 2017

This was one of the more interesting issues. I've been a bit frustrated by the short done-in-two-or-three stories, so it's nice to see Guggenheim building to something bigger.

ModestMoonMan Sep 24, 2017

I've constantly complained that X-Men Gold has been a series without direction. However, issue #12 tells the origin story of Kologoth, a villain introduced in issues #1-3, and also ties into Kologoth's whereabouts during issues #7-9. As a single issue on it's own, this can been seen as filler before the upcoming X-Men Gold/Blue Mojo crossover. But it's used with good effect to connect all of the issues in this series so far. With this much buildup, it seems that Kologoth will play an integral part in X-Men Gold down the road, so this could be a must-have read for fans. I've been quite critical of Guggenheim's run up to this point, but using this issue to connect those stories, and giving a well-written back story for Kologoth peaks my interest to stick with it for a bit longer.

Kreniigh Sep 22, 2017

New Rule: If your character is entirely made of tropes, don't spend more than one page per trope explaining his origin. By that measure this should have taken two pages.

JBL Reviews Sep 24, 2017

No X-Men in this book. A character I suppose we are supposed to like learning about...hmmm

Billyndo Sep 24, 2017

A Nazi/naked alien? Really? Worst X-Men run ever.

Mastermind Oct 13, 2017

... is that a Nazi alien? Lol. I'm going to give 2, just because I laughed so hard at this. As long as Fox has the movie rights, Marvel's simply going to butcher every single X-Men comic book, aren't they.

CKaefe Sep 28, 2017