Cable #154

Writer: Ed Brisson Artist: Jon Malin Publisher: Marvel Comics Release Date: February 14, 2018 Cover Price: $3.99 Critic Reviews: 3 User Reviews: 11

THE NEWER MUTANTS Part 5
•  GIDEON: LAST OF THE EXTERNALS?
•  Is the enemy of my enemy truly my friend? CABLE and the NEWER MUTANTS are about to find out.
•  Can GIDEON kill the last of the EXTERNALS, becoming one of the most powerful beings in the MARVEL U?
•  What's up with BLINK?! Whose side is she really on?

Comic Watch - Robert Struble Mar 1, 2018

The 90s werent all great and while Brisson started out giving us some great nostalgia, he ends up reminding us what was wrong with the 90s. Its an action-packed episode that leaves more questions than answers and ultimately feels like a wasted opportunity. Read Full Review

The GCRN - Dan Clark Feb 16, 2018

By far the biggest issue with this series is the art of Jon Malin. Like the series itself, those who are fond of that rough 90s style will probably take no issue. However, on a pure storytelling level, there are some major flaws that greatly detract from the overall comic. Character designs lack consistency with posing that is awkward and stilted. There is a specific panel of Cable holding a gun that makes it appear as if the pencils forgot to include a weapon so one was added in quickly before colors were added. Even a major moment like Gideon crashing the Blackbird is ruined by a perspective that is unclear and oddly designed. The X-Men books have suffered from some poor art and Cable is no exception. Read Full Review

ComicBook.com - Jamie Lovett Feb 14, 2018

With another creative team change coming next issue, Cable remains a book searching for an identity. Read Full Review

I-Zick Feb 18, 2018

Love the art!!!! This rough style is what got me hooked from the beginning. I like how the story is written an use of misdirection to beat Gedion

MullholandDerp Feb 23, 2018

This has been an excellent arc from Brisson/Malin. This issue wraps up the "Newer Mutants" story and it does not disappoint. Great action and tension bring the solid arc to a close. Brisson was able to tell a succinct and fun story in 5 issues that had great action. Malin has a retro 90's art style that compliments Cable so well. With a new creative team stepping in next, I can only hope they bring half of what Brisson/Malin did.

Forge Feb 25, 2018

The timeline makes absolutely no sense, but the action and Jon Malin's art with 90's costumes makes this a fun read.

+ LikeComments (3)
    DarePool53 May 7, 2018

Far from perfect, but Brisson and Malin’s run has been a blast from start to finish. No issue felt like a chore to get through and I was always left looking forward to the next issue. Shall be keeping an eye out for whatever these creators produce next!

CrazyforRAMU Sep 6, 2018

Cable and company polish off Gideon and the big kahuna paints this story as a successful Blink rescue mission. The script is workable on a nuts-and-bolts level, but it feels scared of investigating the Eternals at any depth beyond the most superficial. Jon Malin's art is Jon Malin's art. Personally I feel that ironic self-aware ineptitude is still ineptitude, and no amount of nostalgia justifies making comics this ugly. Cable's stick-guns are particularly bad; my grandpa sawed more convincing firearms out of scrap lumber for me when I was a kid.

CesarCastanha Feb 14, 2018