Doctor Doom #5

Writer: Christopher Cantwell Artist: Salvador Larroca Publisher: Marvel Comics Release Date: February 5, 2020 Cover Price: $3.99 Critic Reviews: 2 User Reviews: 14

As Victorious and Silver Sable hunt for Doctor Doom in New York, he grows more obsessed with a vision of saving the entire world. He'll track down the woman he's seen as his future wife, but struggle to rectify the man he is with the man he thinks he'll become. At an emotional peak, Doom is ambushed by the Blue Marvel, just as Victorious and Sable join the fray, along with Symkarian conspirators out to usurp Doom's reign. After an epic battle, a battered Doom grows hell-bent on finding a weapon that will restore him to power.

M1sf1r3 Feb 8, 2020

Prelude:
    The final issue of.... Pottersville..... anyway, Cantwell has done a very good job so far with Doctor Doom so let's see how it wraps up.

The Good:
    Interesting work on Doom's character.

I like the political aspect.

Kang is cool.

The Bad:
    I do think things are rather convenient for the plot to happen.

Conclusion:
    A very good issue though the plotting could use less convenience to move forward.

Maud Benjamin Feb 5, 2020

An engaging and entertaining issue. Makes me wonder what's going to happen next.

Ryan Feb 8, 2020

Cantwell does a great job of juggling around so many plot lines and characters. Doctor Doom 5 would’ve gotten a much better rating if Cantwell wasn’t on gas while writing those last 3 pages. Like what in the world was he thinking during those last 3 pages?

Adsun22 Feb 6, 2020

Kang is so cool. But that character switch is too rushed.

DDJamesB Feb 6, 2020

There are things to like and others not so much. Taking it to what it is it showed the start of a lot of potential.

Azrael Feb 7, 2020

I don’t really know if this was a good issue or not. It seemed too rushed and I’m not crazy about the whole prophecy Doom is getting. Although I did like him going back to his evil ways and Kang was great.
    If Doom caused all that trouble though as the heroes believe, I think they’d send A-grade heroes after him though rather than the ones pursuing him now.

YourGreenMuse Feb 8, 2020

I don't know where this series is going. I wasn't really a fan of this issue either. There were a few things I liked. Kang, for one, is just a lot of fun. And that ending monologue by Doom, finally back in his armor, was great. The rest feels all over the place.

Gizmo Feb 13, 2020

All was going well until action breaks out in the last few pages and things fall apart. It feels like there is a page missing. What hurls Victorious? Then the ninja, she just appears out of nowhere. I mean, I know she's a ninja, but you still need to establish her presence to the reader.

Grifter Feb 5, 2020