Punisher #5

Writer: Jason Aaron Artist: Paul Azaceta Publisher: Marvel Comics Release Date: August 10, 2022 Cover Price: $4.99 Critic Reviews: 3 User Reviews: 8

Is the Punisher truly the Fist of the Beast and the predestined High Slayer of the Hand? Or is he nothing more than a prisoner of their lies? And if there's one thing Frank Castle has never been particularly good at being...it's a prisoner.
PARENTAL ADVISORY

The Comicbook Dispatch - Dispatchdcu Aug 10, 2022

PUNISHER #5 was an interesting trip back to Frank's past that revealed a few more violent wrinkles which helped develop the man we all know as the PUNISHER. Yet, this trip down memory lane for Frank has also helped readers discover a bit more character development that fortifies some questions many have had about the character for quite some time. The biggest problem many will have is how Aaron continues to paint the PUNISHER as more psychotic, deranged, and evil than ever before instead of the anti-hero punishing the wicked. Read Full Review

Weird Science Marvel Comics - mrgabehernandez Aug 10, 2022

Punisher #5 takes a semi-break from the main plot to show readers how Frank Castle matured in school with a chance at living a normal life until tragedy and circumstance put him on a darker path. The dramatic writing is well done, and the bits of information we get in the present is intriguing, but the flashbacks (which take up most of the issue) don't do much for the present story. Read Full Review

ComicBook.com - Chase Magnett Aug 10, 2022

It's a genuinely strange take on the character and one that continues to fumble even its most intriguing elements and all the artistic merit presenting the story. Read Full Review

Gizmo Aug 20, 2022

I'm glad to see that the flashbacks are starting to build dimension into Frank Castle as a character. This is the best Punisher I've read in years.

+ LikeComment
    justonemore Aug 10, 2022

still good

DDJamesB Aug 14, 2022

I found it to be decent. It has some good parts. I personally didn't mind the flashback in this issue as much. It just feels like it could be more.

fzanca Aug 13, 2022

I wasn't really happy with this issue. More than half the issue was a flashback. I don't care about Frank Castle's childhood. The flashback has crappier art and again, I just don't care - it won't have any impact on the present storyline. I was shocked that the woman was a creature and that she could not be killed. Ares showing up was fun. I'm not sure why we have to have a flashback at all. Just tell the damn story.

Bionder Aug 10, 2022

Disappointing issue. Probably the worst that was released since issue 1. Nothing new happened, it felt like a filler issue. Lots of retcon's to Frank's childhood,. probably manipulated or not. At this point the reader doesn't know what is true or not.
    This looks like Jason Aaron is merging his Punisher max run with Punisher 616, with a lot of elements from his own run.

The artwork was great.