Marvel's Voices: Pride #1

MARVEL CELEBRATES LGBTQ+ CHARACTERS & CREATORS WITH A RAINBOW-POWERED SPECIAL!
Marvel Comics is proud to present its first ever queer-centered anthology! Ring in Pride Month with an amazing assembly of writers and artists from all walks of life. Wiccan and Hulkling! Iceman! Mystique and Destiny! Karma! Akihiro! Nico Minoru and Karolina Dean! Celebrate these and so many more legendary characters from across the Marvel archive! New and fan-favorite creators tell their Pride stories - stories of inspiration and empowerment, stories that illustrate "the world outside your window" in full color. Plus, some of Marvel's biggest LGBTQ+ moments ge more

But Why Tho? - Jason Flatt Jun 23, 2021

Regardless of how you identify, what you're questioning, or whether you feel safe and comfortable in who you are yet,Marvel Voices: Pride #1is a beautiful ode to the history, present, and future of queer identities in and behind Marvel comics. Read Full Review

Graphic Policy - Logan Dalton Jun 23, 2021

Marvel Voices Pride #1 is definitely an up and down ride. Some of the stories mishandle nonbinary and gender nonconforming identities (Also, there are no nonbinary lead characters in this anthology.) or seem to pander heavily to allies while others have issues with their art or storytelling style. (Northstar/Kyle, Wiccan/Hulkling) But, for the most part, it's nice to see queer creators and queer characters get the spotlight for once instead of being hidden behind things like the mutant metaphor, which is usually Marvel editorial's approach. Read Full Review

Kabooooom - Matt Morrison Jun 25, 2021

In addition to some historical reprints and interviews, there are enough good stories with solid artwork to redeem the most painful parts of Marvel Voices Pride #1. It is a mixed bag, as most anthologies are, but not without its charms despite a few rough edges. Read Full Review

ComicBook.com - Nicole Drum Jun 23, 2021

The real standout of the issue is Leah Williams' Black Cat story as it broke away from using its space as a billboard declaring how queer it was and instead told a nuanced and engaging story that has real potential outside the pages of this poorly considered anthology. Read Full Review

daspidaboy Jun 23, 2021

People who complain about DC Comics having too many dialogue obviously havent read Marvel Comics. This issue has so much dialogue that I felt that I would be reading a novel. IT's not just the amount of dialogue, its how boring the characters feel.

I wouldnt even be this annoyed too, but the art here is lacking and cartoony compared to DC Pride. Seriously, the art here has no effort. If you want to make LGBTQ happy, at least provide solid art that at least has effort to it.

Briton Jun 27, 2021

The comics industry continues to cut its own throat by backing identity politics. Very few people will actually buy this comic. The print run will be shipped out to schools to poison and confuse children.

+ LikeComments (1)
    ComicFest Jun 23, 2021

In particular, the Pride of DC seemed much better to me, you know not everything in this life is a cartoon, it is in the letters where a comic or a novel (if you are used to it and you like reading) can lift or destroy said product.
    This only came to be as a requirement of ah, yes, here we are, we support you. The important thing is that the construction of these characters is carried out with time and quality.

Merlyn Jun 24, 2021

This one was slightly better than DC's effort but still not good enough. I enjoyed Allan Heinberg's story (as in, one page, but it was actually very good), the Titania and "She-Hulk" story, partially Iceman's story and Somnus'. Still, a lot more misses than hits and the misses were big ones. Sorry, I know we're all supposed to pretend these types of books are awesome but I'm not playing that game. Do better, Marvel!

Psycamorean Jun 29, 2021

Marvel’s Voices: Pride #1 - 7.5/10
    I'm so glad less people stuck around for Marvel's attempt at a Pride anthology. It means I don't have to make quite so long a review this time. Blah blah blah *insert sexuality here* blah blah.

"Introduction" by Luciano Vecchio and Mike O'Sullivan is probably one of my favorite stories from this anthology because I think it shows why I like Marvel as much as I do. I do not think you could get so much out of DC's history the way you can with Marvel's, and I think that's part of why Marvel can be so much more relatable.

"The Vows" by Allan Heinberg is cute. I like Wiccan and Hulkling as a couple and their vows are cute. That's all.

"Under the Stars" by Mariko Tamaki is more

+ LikeComments (15)
    TripleThreaT Jun 25, 2021

Just for Iceman's "Early Thaw" story, with Magneto, by Anthony Oliveira, Javier Garron, David Curiel, & Ariana Maher. Absolutely LOVED IT, SO MEANINGFUL & TOUCHING!! An early (and ongoing?), SECRET *ret*connection to the Master of Magnetism, is the best Bobby Drake development in the new era. Erik singling out & showing special interest in him, is nothing short of long held fan wish fulfillment, for me. I want, no NEED... more, More, MORE!!!

Fracadactyl Jun 23, 2021

I gotta say how it still annoys me how these voices covers feature characters who don't have staring roles. This might as well have been an X-Men title with how many mutants decorate these pages. Not that there's anything wrong with that, from my experience X-Men are huge fan-favorites. Also a plot where somebody comes back from the dead where he doesn't need to hide himself to start a new life is perfect for future Reign of X titles. I mean we get to see characters from so long ago get a place here. Then there's that one featuring a cosplayer and how much some character still appeal to some people more than others. It's one of the reasons superheroes' appeal is universal.

I just would really have liked to see Angela and Lightspe more

RJ Jun 23, 2021