Astonishing X-Men #9

Astonishing X-Men #9

Writer: Charles Soule Artist: Matteo Buffagni Publisher: Marvel Comics Release Date: March 14, 2018 Cover Price: $3.99 Critic Reviews: 3 User Reviews: 8

•  As a reality storm batters London and its inhabitants, PSYLOCKE must choose between trusting the mysterious MAN CALLED X and letting her beloved city fall into ruin.
•  The SHADOW KING freed a brand-new threat with his dying throes, but who is this new threat?
•  And how can the X-Men hope to stand against an emery that can warp reality itself?

Comicsverse - Alex Bisignaro Mar 16, 2018

Charles Soule provides witting and hilarious dialogue in this issue of ASTONISHING X-MEN. The plot itself is decent but a bit cliche at times. The artwork from Matteo Buffagni and Giada Marchisio gives this issue an especially fitting dreary tone. Read Full Review

• 8.0 - Jamie Lovett Mar 14, 2018

It's one of the best looking issues of Soule's Astonishing X-Men run yet. Read Full Review

Graphic Policy - Brett Mar 14, 2018

The issue is a middle grade one. It's not bad in any way and it has a goal of setting things up for the next couple of issues. It does that and does it really well. As part of the whole story, it's good but on its own it falls a little short. Read Full Review

Dispatchdcu Mar 16, 2018

Welcome to the Oblivion Bar where the first round is on me and the pretzels are free! Be warned: like the pickled eggs at the bar, this issue is going to get SPOILED rotten.

We open with “X” ( prof x in someone else’s body) and Psylocke some how fused together with a psychic link and archangel and wolverine pull them apart with there metal since it somehow hurts Proteus who put them that way.

“X” tells them that while he was linked to Proteus , he saw his plan of bringing the astral plane to our world, which that’s a concept I can’t even wrap my brain around TBH.

While the team goes to find him, we see Proteus in a town giving people whatever they want, building walls around that town with guards, and hoping to get all these people on his side by giving them anything they want AND setting up a fortress for himself in the process.

I personally don’t see how one part of the story connects to the other. This is where the catch up page is so key in comics because i was lost. I didn’t remember where we left off from the last issue so I was confused in the beginning... AND... I don’t know why Proteus chose that town and would want to bring the astral plane here. AND why is he giving everyone what they want? Basically how does A, lead to B, and then to C?

Maybe the summary page was there any I missed it but this issue confused me from jump street. I don’t know where it’s going either or it’s purpose. I thought it was to bring back Charles but younger and get everyone on board with that.... but I feel like we are just skimming over that part to fight Proteus. And if Proteus is truly this powerful, it seems like you may need more than what you got on this team to stop him.

If you like what you heard, love talking all types of comics, and are interested in joining a comic chat group, hit me up at or @dispatchdcu on twitter. Catch you all later! Peace

Grifter Mar 14, 2018