Avengers #688

Avengers #688

Writer: Mark Waid, Al Ewing, Jim Zub Artist: Aaron Kim Jacinto, Stefano Casselli Publisher: Marvel Comics Release Date: April 11, 2018 Cover Price: $3.99 Critic Reviews: 7 User Reviews: 18

THE AVENGERS WEEKLY EPIC CONTINUES!
NO SURRENDER Part 14
As the final battle for Earth begins, one Avenger will sacrifice everything to give his teammates a fighting chance.

Graphic Policy - Brett Apr 11, 2018

This might be my favorite issue so far and that's from an even that has delivered with almost every issue. Yes, we knew this was coming but the details and how it's all put together makes it shine. Events are dragging down comics? Here's your exception and an example of what every one should strive to be. Read Full Review

Comicsverse - Alex Bisignaro Apr 11, 2018

AVENGERS #688 focuses on Quicksilver's attempt to save the world. His narration fits extremely well with all the subplots of this issue, and the artwork delivered by Jacinto, Caselli, and Curiel make AVENGERS #688 a true work of art. Read Full Review

ComicBook.com - Jamie Lovett Apr 11, 2018

All of that is drawn by multiple art teams delivering on the promise of these ideas with different levels of success. Read Full Review

Comicosity - Doug Zawisza Apr 12, 2018

With two chapters to go, Avengers #688 gives readers an “Avengers Assemble!” moment that supercharges the remainder of this saga while promising even more Avengers awesomeness ahead. Read Full Review

Comic Watch - Nicholas Osborn Apr 13, 2018

Despite the current distaste for world-changing events in comics, Marvel shows that it can still be quite entertaining with interesting narratives and beautiful artwork. By focusing on Quicksilvers struggle to give the remaining Avengers the reinforcements they need so desperately, the issue delves into exactly what it means to be a member of the team. Read Full Review

DisKingdom.com - Roger Palmer Apr 13, 2018

This issue is all about getting the band back together and I really enjoyed how the writers did it, with Quicksilver standing out as a true hero. Read Full Review

AiPT! - Russ Dobler Apr 11, 2018

It's fine, yet somehow unsatisfying. It seems like the big moment at the end should feel BIGGER, and Quicksilver should avoid telling us things we already know. Read Full Review

RustonLF Apr 12, 2018

This issue is an interesting departure since it focuses so much on a single character. All the issues have had narration from a single or maybe a couple characters but still had various members stories. This issue seems to focus more on Quicksilver and those directly involved with him. It does create a bit of importance to what he is focused on. It is also worth it since it creates a changing moment for the story going forward. The Challenger was very menacing and impressive to me before as a man behind the scenes orchestrating destruction. Seeing him more hands on in this issue was a little bit of a let down for me, but not enough to ruin him. The art both in colors and lines makes Pietro (Quicksilver) look great all through this issue capturing his speed and movement. There are also fun moments to catch like Wonderman against Challenger and Namor. This series is still on track for me and doing a story that should be memorable.

mrDovydas Apr 13, 2018

Really good focus on what makes the Avengers a team. The villains is perfectly portrayed as a huge menace. Quicksilver had a very good moment and I am eager to read his mini series that will be spinning out of this.

axdn Apr 12, 2018

Awesomeee!

Busterhasviews Apr 12, 2018

Very much intrigued by the Quicksilver spin-off now

Kalaoui Apr 12, 2018

Great stuff! Quality endures!

Dispatchdcu Apr 15, 2018

Welcome to the Oblivion Bar where the first round is on me and the pretzels are free! Be warned: like the pickled eggs at the bar, this issue is going to get SPOILED rotten.

We open with the Challenger calling himself the new Grandmaster Prime. He has basically decided to destroy the Earth... surprise-surprise... Dr Banner overhears the heroes talking about this and Hulks into action attacking Grandmaster Prime. He gets in a few shots until Grandmaster Prime sends Hulk into orbit.

Meanwhile, Quicksilver is chasing down the beacon because he thinks it’s important to stopping all of this madness. So, he gets help from Wanda and Synapse to help him move faster than he ever has in order to catch it.

The issue ends with Quicksilver catching the beacon ( and disappearing into a possible Marvel speed force), which I think will unfreeze all our heroes. Thor, as well as Lightning, head up to the orbiting satellite in order to get the earth rotation back on track.

This wasn’t as good as the other issues but it was definitely action packed, exciting, and full of great art as always. I’m still interested in the series, the next issues, and love the weekly releases. It hasn’t had as many great cliffhangers recently but it’s still been a fantastic series. Honestly, if you haven’t been following along until now, just get the trade.

But if other comic companies are reading this review PLEASE LISTEN UP: plan ahead like No Surrender did. This run was done months ago, including art, so it could be released weekly. This is how it’s done. It’s time to give us more epic stories in this fashion. We live in the binge and now and Marvel’s No Surrender is exactly how events need to be done.

If you like what you heard, love talking all types of comics, and are interested in joining a comic chat group, hit me up at dispatchdcu@gmail.com or @dispatchdcu on twitter. Catch you all later! Peace

SloboSOY Apr 12, 2018

Another disappointing issue, with quicksilver talking this time. And he will ask the help of Synapse & his sister to go faster ... I smelling some flash speed force effect at the end ^^
    And did Namor (X-Men & Avengers) was free of the stasis but didn't go to help ... That really a dumb move !
    All the rest is not better ... Banner go smack Challenger & been send in space ... Damn (Why Challenger have trouble with Simon after that ! Who care the team assembled at the end with that level of power).
    A part of the team try to undo the end of the world (Thor & Lightning have to be both for giving the sufficient Gigawat ... What the fuck ! One didn't enough ? And Sunspot let his power free to be as strong as a hulk ... What and he didn't do that before).
    At least the fact Quicksilver succeed let me hope Shocker will go to help (After all the villain will be free too).

Cover - Nice & but not really related 1.5/2
    Writing - They jocking right ... Another transitional issue with not much in it. Well the assemble at the end but the rest dissapoint me. 1.5/3
    Arts - At least the art is really really good. But to much panel without background. 2.5/3
    Feeling - 2 or 3 issue left. I will regret to try it. That kill all the good work on Avengers, Uncanny Avengers & U.S.Avengers that Waid, Zub & Ewing did ! 0/2

MightyVin Apr 11, 2018