Red Hood: Outlaw #48

Writer: Scott Lobdell Artist: Brett Booth Publisher: DC Comics Release Date: August 26, 2020 Cover Price: $3.99 Critic Reviews: 8 User Reviews: 18

In the aftermath of the war between Batman and The Joker, Jason Todd has a few decisions to make. Does Gotham City-or the world at large-really need the Red Hood? If Jason contemplates retiring the Red Hood mask altogether, what does that mean for Artemis and Bizarro? Can the Outlaws continue to exist without their leader? A family reunion with Ric Grayson doesn’t go as planned as he brought along his new friend: Punchline!

Major Spoilers - Wayne Hall Aug 28, 2020

I have a feeling this book is going to be an important one in the Joker War event, something I'm really gripped by. When you reach that last page, you'll see why I'm saying this. I've been waiting a long time for this to be resolved, so I can't wait to see what happens next. Read Full Review

GWW - Nick Friar Aug 25, 2020

Still, the allusion to Jason Todd's death was powerful. Shows how much he's grown since he came back to life. Read Full Review

Forces Of Geek - Lenny Schwartz Aug 26, 2020

Lobdell seems to be wrapping up his run in a classy way, and I hope the next two issues are as good as this one. Read Full Review

Lyles Movie Files - Jeffrey Lyles Aug 25, 2020

Some tie-in books dont add much to the main story, but this issue is definitely worth grabbing for readers who have been casually invested in this epic Batman event. Read Full Review

Weird Science - Eric Shea Aug 25, 2020

Both Scott Lobdell and Brett Booth are bringing their "A" games to this Joker War tie-in that really combines a lot of things from Jason Todd's past to screw with him in the present and I couldn't be happier. Yeah, it does get old when we always bring up Jason's death, but here it works well and makes me excited for what's to come from a lot of characters in a book that looks amazing the whole way through. Read Full Review

The Batman Universe - Hannan Mouawad Aug 26, 2020

Im surprised to say I do want to find out how this will all get resolved and what the ramifications will be. Im looking forward to seeing not only Jason respond to this fiasco but the other members of the Bat-Family as well! Read Full Review

Batman-News - Matina Newsom Aug 25, 2020

For a book designed to line up with the Joker War event, this was a fun read. Punchline's plan could have used a little work, and the conversation between Joker and Jason really didn't do much for me, but generally I enjoyed reading this. Additionally, Lobdell takes the opportunity to give readers another look at Jason and Bruce's relationship while also lining up some plot elements for later in the series. All in all, if you've been reading the Joker War books, this isn't a bad one to pick up. Read Full Review

ComicBook.com - Jenna Anderson" Aug 26, 2020

This issue places Jason Todd squarely in the events of the Joker War, in a way that is both bombastic and slightly hollow. Read Full Review

fanredhood Sep 15, 2020

The only defect I saw in this number was the quantum leap from the camera to Gotham, however for those of us who follow the series we are going to find a lot of sense, it was an excellent drama with action.

Jason arrives at his old lair, due to the exile that Batman imposed on him, that is something sad, then he offers us mixed emotions when he remembers Bruce and their relationship, he recognizes that Bruce is a man who cares about others, that's why, despite that he was unjustly accused of an assassination attempt, of receiving a severe beating by Batman, Jason remains true to his word not to kill, we see that under that hard shell, Jason continues to love Bruce as a father even though he does not recognize him. UCH.
    >Another moment of excellent drama was when Jason runs to find Duela who is being hit with the crowbar, the excellent representation of Jason's anguish by the artist, is good, even though it is not excellent art.

I could love when Punchline wants to introduce himself and Hood sends her for a walk, determined to attack he throws himself towards her, but Dick with a mask comes cowardly from behind knocking him down.

Lobdell is placed in a neutral point where he gives Dick the benefit of the doubt as a fighter, even though Hood is a bit battered by the previous fight with the joker's henchmen, the fight with Dick who is disguised is exciting, very even, both defend themselves fiercely until the intervention at Punchelline's betrayal

The culminating moment is when Jason wakes up, anguished goes in search of Duela and to his horror is found dead. Hood is devastated at the fact, he is living his death in some way, he feels that he has failed, he has promised himself that that would never happen again.

Now on the other side, Jason takes Duela in his arms he laments, but does not have time to mourn his loss, Barbara asks for help, there are children in danger. Heartbroken, she leaves Duela's body and marks herself.

Later we will see that Duela did not die, it was a trap to break it, Dick assures that Jason is obsessive and that he can possibly discover the trap. This is not known if it's hopeful or will just tear him apart further.

It was a painful number, for those of us who know Jason's story. Good writing, good story, the art is not the best, yet he knows how to represent Jason's emotions.

I think it was the best non-Hood number (RHATO 25 was the maximum) but of the Joker series it seemed the best arc so far read.

LadyLaica Sep 15, 2020

A good number. Lobdell certainly has great ideas, when he's not letting go or slowing down. I think we will miss him.

sebastianorellana95 Aug 26, 2020

Very good issue.

ScorpioDarkArachnoid8 Aug 30, 2020

A good tie-in to the Joker War which leads to the previous issue of Nightwing. It's from Red Hood's view and I liked it. The art was A class.

Spacey Medicine Aug 31, 2020

This was not worth reading for Joker War alone.

fenixalasnegras Aug 26, 2020

Oh please, it won't be the three Jokers but I lift Lobdell with this number, I loved that if it weren't for Punchline (a character that I still can't make sense of) I would have kicked the unbearable Dickie boy's ass.

Damn when Jason finds Duela in his arms going through what Batman went through when he was robin it was that phenomenal, I can almost advocate for Lobdell as writer of Red Hood, if he did not drop the series without concluding things it would be phenomenal because the man arrives to have good ideas.

Artemisa Sep 15, 2020

omg this number made me cry more than once, it took my breath away in the fight. I just loved it

Liem Duong Aug 25, 2020

A good tie in. Separate from the main storyline going on with Red Hood. I liked the whole PTSD segment with Red Hood and Punchline and what not. This tie-in in general touches back on alot of past memories of Jason before he became Red Hood, which I really liked. Great art by Booth, writing was decent. Good action, quick pace, some interesting panel options. Just an all around solid tie-in. Its draws on high emotion , but its nothing super important.

Watchtower022 Aug 30, 2020

For a series that’s been very off the rails for quite some time, this worked for me for the most part

YourGreenMuse Aug 28, 2020

I dropped this series long ago. Just came back for the Joker War tie-in. This issue was very bland and contrived. I'm glad I bailed on this series a while ago.

Comic Dreamer Aug 27, 2020