Amazing Spider-Man #16

Writer: Zeb Wells Artist: Ed McGuinness Publisher: Marvel Comics Release Date: December 28, 2022 Cover Price: $3.99 Critic Reviews: 6 User Reviews: 30

SPIDER-MAN VS. CHASM!
After the battle with Venom last issue, it's time for the main event? That's right, it's Peter Parker vs. Ben Reilly, no-holds-barred in the craziest battle you've ever seen! Chasm secures his place in Spidey's rogues' gallery-as the one who finally vanquishes Peter Parker?!
Rated T

But Why Tho? - William Tucker Dec 30, 2022

Amazing Spider-Man #16 is a deeply personal book within a larger context. As Limbo bleeds into Earth, this is essentially a grudge match. The issue is incredibly fast-paced and fun to read, with the fantastic fight scene featuring masterful artwork. But there is substance and power within the energy, with the story being transformed entirely by the end of the comic. Read Full Review

AIPT - David Brooke Dec 28, 2022

Amazing Spider-Man #16 offers up the big showdown between Chasm and Spider-Man while showing Ben Reilly has had some upgrades. It's in your face, comical, and fun from cover to cover. Read Full Review

The Super Powered Fancast - Deron Generally Dec 28, 2022

McGuiness delivers some beautifully detailed art on every page of the issue. The visuals are lively and visually engaging. Read Full Review

ComicBook.com - Chase Magnett Dec 28, 2022

The Amazing Spider-Man #16 continues the Spidey event of the season with plenty of style and fun, as it builds upon decades of Marvel's best (and sometimes worst) stories to concoct something novel. Read Full Review

Comic Watch - Dustin Gebel Dec 28, 2022

Amazing Spider-Man #16 is another strong entry in both the Dark Web crossover and ASM line-up, building off the momentum set in the last issue. The story is invigorated by McGuinnesss art and Rathburns inks, giving a more intense level of action that is elevated by Menyzs coloring. As the story moves from New York to Limbo, the issue does an excellent job of constructing a new visual language for both Chasms abilities and magic, while rooting it in a genuine motivation for these heinous acts. These elements make it hard to jump into the book now, but the upside is Dark Web is friendly enough to jump in blind and receive context across the various titles. Read Full Review

Weird Science Marvel Comics - mrgabehernandez Dec 30, 2022

Amazing Spider-Man #16 continues the Dark Web event with great art and entertaining action. Still, the weirdly jokey tone is a tension killer, the characters don't act like themselves, and the characters' actions don't make any sense. This event is barely out of the gate, and it's already a bizarre misstep. Read Full Review

Toonstrack Jan 6, 2023

A lot of folks really aren't paying attention or using rationality when approaching Ben's narrative here and in seeing a lot of folks here and elsewhere ask questions for which the answers should he pretty obvious if you think about it for like 30 seconds.

That being said this issue isn't perfect, it's mostly just a fight scene but when your fight scene is drawn by THE ed mcguinness you're in for a heck of a time.

+ LikeComments (14)
    retcon_D Dec 31, 2022

I find myself enjoying these tie-ins, despite not following the Dark Web event.

Amazing Psycamorean Jan 12, 2023

Okay so instead of reviewing this comic, because this comic is essentially just a well-rendered fight scene, I will instead use my review as a way to express how media criticism and analysis works. So many reviews for this issue are just people complaining about the characterization of Ben Reilly and simply not paying attention to what they're reading. What makes a piece of media bad is not whether it conforms to what you think it ought to be. Sure, you can develop your own ideas and stories based on what you see as a failing in this idea/story. But the failing should be considered on the media's terms. What does this comic set out to do, and does it achieve that? Complaining about Ben Reilly's characterization would be valid if this charac more

+ LikeComments (28)
    KittyNone Dec 29, 2022

Still not really convinced by Ben's latest villain turn, but taken on its merits this was an OK superhero fight. The best thing here is McGuinness, whose art is much better suited to a fight scene than the goofiness of Inferno. If that excellent last page is any indication, McGuinness's Limbo is going to be even better (and it promises anything other than "Spider-Man vs. ____", which I'm already bored of)

Mout Jan 30, 2023

Amazing last page

Kalaoui Jan 9, 2023

The dumbest and flimsiest of event premises that I have to ignore in order to enjoy McGuinesse's art. That's it. His fantastic art with some tight inks by Rathburn and beautiful colors by Menyz makes this bearable so I can see an electric scooter get thrown around and enjoy it while I ignore why and how we got here. I can't wait for it to be over.

Federico Liguori Jan 8, 2023

THIS is a shame. I can clearly see it being great, with the demons and the cartoony aspect of the story. But NOT with this premise and Ben Reilly acting like a psycho. They nailed 50% of it, but the other half is completely misconceived.

DDJamesB Dec 29, 2022

Pretty good action scene. Lots of blabbering. Didn't really enhance the story until the end.

Loafy Trophy Jan 6, 2023

I'm really not sure why this event exists. Other than to maybe capitalize on some 90's nostalgia? I just want to get through it so we can finally open the mystery box.

daspidaboy Dec 28, 2022

Honestly this was not a good issue. Maybe I'm in the minority but mcguiness art doesn't stand out. The dialogue is cheesy the fight is lackluster. And like Afre said ben reply gets ruined and is an uninteresting character. Venom is also not interesting in this event.

This event feels like a misfire

Afre Dec 28, 2022

This is so bad and so forced. It's really hard to enjoy this part of the event when it's just Spider-Man vs Chasm and Chasm is written horribly.

Like nothing Ben does makes any sense. What is his end goal? Like after he has memories back from Peter, what then??? Will he just live with himself and the Parker guilt, knowing he unleashed demons from Limbo who hurt and maybe killed innocent civilians???

I hate everything they've done with Ben and because he is the focus of this event and especially this issue, it's really hard to enjoy anything about it.

Maybe McGuiness's art?

Sollywoods Dec 28, 2022

16 issues in and this is still going down as the worst Spiderman run ever. This is in particular continues to ruin the character of Ben Reilly. Outside the art being alright, there is nothing at all to like here.

As much as I enjoy the character of Ben Reilly, Marvel should have left him dead. When Slott made him a villain it was kind of stupid but at least it he thought he was doing something right. Then Peter David screwed up his solo series that followed up. He had some redemption in Spidergeddon, which was great, felt like the real Ben Reilly was back, then Beyond started with potential only to end with the completely garbage introduction of Chasm. His design is kind of cool but characterization is the absolute worst the cha more

samizrozami Jan 13, 2023

Thank you ASM #16 i now understand why good writing is important

Dc Fan of Sorts Jan 1, 2023

This event has become a jokeā€¦ un unfunny joke that is.

Gustavo Las Orka Jan 13, 2023