Daredevil #36
Series Next

Daredevil #36

Writer: Chip Zdarsky Artist: Manuel Garcia Publisher: Marvel Comics Release Date: December 1, 2021 Cover Price: $4.99 Critic Reviews: 6 User Reviews: 45

After a romance that’s blossomed over the last two years in DAREDEVIL, MAYOR WILSON FISK and TYPHOID MARY are prepared to tie the knot! But in a fashion truly befitting The House of Ideas, calamity is right around the corner for the happy couple! But what sort of terrible discovery could be so monumental as to derail the most powerful man in New York’s special day? The answer lies in this oversized special issue – if you get no other DAREDEVIL issue this year, YOU MUST GET THIS ONE!

But Why Tho? - William Tucker Dec 1, 2021

Daredevil #36 is a beautiful bridge of an issue. It is more joyous than what we are used to with this character and his world, with this chapter not feeling quite so heavy. Read Full Review

AIPT - Christopher Franey Dec 1, 2021

Daredevil's finale issue is a perfect ending for this current volume of Daredevil. There was intense drama, romance, rejection, and character growth. Zdarsky and the team have taken these characters and lifted them to whole new levels. The issue has me impatiently waiting for the Devil's Reign event to continue this roller coaster of emotions and entertainment! Read Full Review

ComicBook.com - Chase Magnett Dec 1, 2021

The climax of Zdarsky's Daredevil sets the stage for the upcoming event series Devil's Reign, but that doesn't rob the issue of its individual poignancy acting as a capstone for a memorable collection of character arcs. Read Full Review

Comic Watch - Clint Theron Dec 1, 2021

Prison has changed Matt, and seemingly for the better. Love is the way forward, or at least contentment as Daredevil hopes he can get Kingpin out of his unkempt hair for a while. Chances are slim, but I'm really enjoying Matt's growth throughout this series. Read Full Review

COMICON - Tony Thornley Dec 6, 2021

This strong final issue brings this volume to a close. The art isn't quite as strong as it has been the rest of the volume, but overall it's a win. Read Full Review

Comic Book Revolution - Kevin Lainez Dec 3, 2021

Daredevil #36 is a strong conclusion to Chip Zdarsky's run on the latest comic book volume for the Man Without Fear. In the process Zdarsky finishes laying the foundation for Devil's Reign to be an epic event that will involve a large part of Marvel's superhero community. If you are going to be picking up Devil's Reign I highly suggest picking up Daredevil #36 to get ready for the latest Marvel blockbuster event. Read Full Review

Fury Feb 16, 2022

Good issue. Liking Walker, too smart to be a fucking republican. Probably likes beer too, m’man.

+ LikeComments (14)
    Amazing Psycamorean Dec 7, 2021

Really fucking great issue. I'm super excited for Devil's Reign.

cincyfan Dec 4, 2021

It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that the issue leading up to devil's reign is phenomenal. The writing is fantastic I love all the storylines and am very much excited about devil's reign. It should be kept in mind although it sounds like after devil's reign marvel will be bringing daredevil back as a #1 in anew volume chip zdarsky has said it isn't a new volume it's the continuation of the story.

This score is reflective of the entire run so far (#1-36 and Annual #1).

As a new reader to Daredevil and a massive fan of the show starring Charlie Cox, this series has been phenomenal in every aspect. From themes surrounding Matt's religion and the corruption/abuse of power in Hell's Kitchen, the narrative throughout the series has never been boring and always amazes me (and surprises me in some parts). The artwork from Marco Checchetto is absolutely gorgeous, as well as the other artists who joined in on the run. If you're new to Daredevil, do not hesitate to jump on with this run. Any questions you would have upon reading it will get answered later on.

Geov Dec 2, 2021

Chip zdarsky Please write all my favorite characters. The comic is beautiful, with a nice hook for the next event.

Stormwrath Dec 1, 2021

Yep, Chip Zdarsky is killing it with this book

Afre Dec 1, 2021

It was a good finale. I'm even more interested in Devil's Reign now.

CrazyforRAMU Apr 14, 2022

This was a redemptive issue -- for the creators and my faith in them, rather than for the characters. The extra pages gave them great opportunities to trim up their plotlines and re-motivate their characters, and they made full use of them. Everything looks and sounds very good. (Although I found Matt a little passive here.)

The wedding scene is skillfully crosscut. Maybe it's an homage/ripoff of the baptism scene from the Godfather, but if so, it's a well-done one.

DDJamesB Dec 7, 2021

It wasn't explosive but, it did wrap up this run in an ok way. The parts were better than the whole. It had some really good parts and I do feel like a lot will happen in Devil's Reign.

Cliff Booth Dec 5, 2021

A great issue.

Rachit Mittal Dec 1, 2021

Art looks above average. Below good but above average. Somewhat in between.
    Story wise, I don't know what I feel. Mary and Fisk romance seemed wierd. Elektra Matt was good.
    What happened to Butch's mother?
    It got me excited for Devil's Reign.
    I don't know why but I am getting a feel that Devil Reign would be somewhat similar to Civil War with one change of Heroes vs Kingpin.

+ LikeComments (2)
    Kalaoui Dec 8, 2021

It's not bad but man this arc is running on fumes with many threads just moving haphazardly unlike earlier in the run. I get it, we are going into Devil's Reign so we wrap some things up and set other things but it feels disjointed. The art by Garcia was OK and didn't work for me so it took away from my enjoyment.

Merlyn Dec 1, 2021

I reiterate my wish that Chip will be in a situation in which he will need the police's help, yet will have to stay true to his "principles" lol. He's like those idiots at protests that yell "abolish the police" and when shit hits the fan they go to the cops to ask for help. That being said, I like the dynamics surrounding Kingpin. I have very low expectations for Devil's Reign based on this run and on the solicits.

+ LikeComments (3)
    MoonKnight313 Dec 1, 2021

I enjoyed the writing but this is really just a big setup/promotion for Devil's Reign. I had to dock a few points for the absolutely atrocious art.

daspidaboy Dec 4, 2021

This ending.... really conflicts me. It's not bad at all, but i felt that there were plot threads left dangling. Plus the art is okay to be honest. Oh well, bring on Devil's Reign.

superstan52 Dec 1, 2021

I don't know. A lot of things seem to have gotten changed/dropped. What happened to Matt determined to spend his 2 years in prison and not wanting any special treatment? No "finale" with Cole? What about Elektra/Daredevil "one must die" if The Hand is to be defeated? How was DD really changed? "Do what's right?" What does that mean, exactly? That sounds like the kind of vigilante stuff that got him in trouble in the first place. And Fisk "being happy?" That's a solution? Judging from the upcoming Devil's Reign it sounds like a pretty piss-poor plan. So, I don't know. Zdarsky took DD pretty low - he killed a guy in the first issue (?) and went downhill from there, and then - Presto! - he's back.

+ LikeComments (1)
    Gizmo Dec 11, 2021

At least DD served the rest of his short sentence. The extra long issue essentially sets up the new status quo in preparation for Devil's Reign. Oh, and my favorite new power-couple tie the knot. I promised myself I wouldn't cry.

ZachMerps Sep 2, 2022