Amazing Spider-Man #5

Writer: Zeb Wells Artist: John Romita Jr. Publisher: Marvel Comics Release Date: July 6, 2022 Cover Price: $3.99 Critic Reviews: 7 User Reviews: 42

• The end of the first arc of this historic new volume is here, and you won't believe what we're putting the Web-Slinger through!
•  Spider-Man and Tombstone have their most brutal battle ever, but I fear the worst damage to Peter isn't going to be physical.
•  Also, did you notice that this was ASM LGY #899?! That means next issue is...
RATED T+

Comic Watch - Jimmy Hayes Jul 7, 2022

This book is getting crazy interesting and crazy entertaining. If it's not on your pulls list already, it really should be. This is Marvel's premiere book and it definitely feels like it! Read Full Review

The Super Powered Fancast - Deron Generally Jul 6, 2022

Romita Jr delivers some beautifully detailed and impressive panels throughout the issue. Not only are the Spider-Man moments visually thrilling, but the character moments are impressive as well. Read Full Review

ComicBook.com - Chase Magnett Jul 6, 2022

The first arc of Wells and Romita Jr.'s Amazing Spider-Man wraps just in time for issue #900 to drop, and it feels like there's never been a better time to be a reader. Read Full Review

The Comicbook Dispatch - Dispatchdcu Jul 6, 2022

The StoryThe Amazing Spider-Man #5 wraps up the first arc of his run of the series.  While Tombstones story has been entertaining, it hasnt supplied any answers to the big questions posed in the first issue.  Readers still dont have any idea of why Peter is on everyones bad side, what he did to get there, or whats going on with Mary Jane. Wells does start to reverse some of these dynamics, with the appearance of Black Cat and how Peter has grown over the last five issues, but its too much of a slow burn.  Too many questions, and not enough answers. Read Full Review

AIPT - David Brooke Jul 6, 2022

Amazing Spider-Man #5 wraps up the first story arc with a story about Peter Parker's smarts. It's also a reminder that Spider-Man gets in his own way, but when he's having a little fun things go better for him and the reader. Read Full Review

Henchman-4-Hire - Sean Ian Mills Jul 9, 2022

This opening storyline ends with a bit of a whimper, storywise. The writing and art are really fun and enjoyable, but they were put into service with a very basic, uninspired plot. Read Full Review

Weird Science Marvel Comics - mrgabehernandez Jul 6, 2022

Amazing Spider-Man #5 concludes the arc with a shockingly unsatisfying finale. The multiple bombshells dropped in the first issue are all but forgotten, Romita Jr's art is becoming more distorted with each issue, and any of the dramatic tension Wells successfully created in the last few issues is entirely gone with a relaxed and dialog-heavy chapter. It's hard to imagine a worse possible ending for a first arc from a new creative team. Read Full Review

Amazing Psycamorean Jul 29, 2022

I feel like it's penance for me praising John Romita Jr. lately, but this issue shows some of his weaknesses. Peter's lumpy fucking face is hideous, and not in the intentional way. It just looks really bad. Thankfully, the writing manages to make up for the lackluster art.

After the bombast of the last couple issues, this finale is all character work. Reflecting on this new world Spidey inhabits. A perfect bookend to the shock and awe route of storytelling this arc played with. And it all works. I could go through the best moments, but they're all great. Wells nails it. And that Black Cat tease at the end? I'm all for it. If we aren't going to do Peter and MJ, Spider-Man and Black Cat are a really fun pairing

All in al more

Julhin Jul 10, 2022

A great ending to a very good first arc, it's well drawn, it's well written, it's engaging and FUN. The way Peter "solves" the mess he was into here was something i was not expecting, and seeing him being empathethic to Tombstone after everything he put Peter through the last issues really made me smile, it's been a while since we had seen this side of him, it's what always made me so fascinated with this character and why he's my favorite character of all time, he loses a lot, but he gets back up, he messes up a lot, but he always make up for it, he's short tempered, but he's also a kind and empathetic person. Loved it, looking forward to #900!

+ LikeComment
    justonemore Jul 6, 2022

what a clever way to end this arc. Like I said in other reviews, I'm loving this run. The conversations about how's Peter in this issue are so good, that moment with Felicia and May. The Tombstone thing? Well, a perfect final for a great first arc. If Wells continue like this, it's gonna be a great run for spiderman.

Kalaoui Jul 7, 2022

Good!

Toonstrack Jul 7, 2022

This arc ends in an unusual fashion but its great to see. Spidey essentially pulls an uno reverse card on Tombstone and despite what the cover may have you suggest, they just have a conversation in the end. Nice to see things switched up and Peter using his wits to win instead of his fists.

Romita kills it on this issue. His facial expressions are very emotive and his paneling and storytelling is great as ever. Hes a living legend.

Wells writes a good story here, im definitely interested to see what is next.

daspidaboy Jul 6, 2022

this was actually a really good and interesting issue. John Romita Jr's art is very good and I am very invested and interested in this series. Glad I was being fair for the first few issues and not outright hating this issue. People who trash on this series before the first arc even finished are being REAL quiet today. It's okay to make mistakes, just admit them and promise to be better.

DDJamesB Jul 8, 2022

It was an entertaining issue but, damn one of the last images of Peter's busted face just made me laugh.

Sollywoods Jul 7, 2022

So I was going to drop reading this altogether since I hated the first 2 issues but it was a slow week for new comics for me so I picked up issues 3-5. So this is sort of a review of all those.

Yes, I quite enjoyed it now.

Issue 4 in particular had me annoyed at first, at how it seemed like such a cliche of villain captures hero and lets one of his nameless goons kill him... but then the ending spun it around in a way I did not see coming and completely justified what I had previously thought to be bad writing, was now a clever spin by the writer with Tombstones plan. The final issue continued that good plot with a satisfying ending that didn't involved a physical fight between Spiderman and Tombstone. I am all for n more

Hex Jul 6, 2022

This was a good arc. Nice and simple all things considered. Dealing with characters and villains we really don't see and it once again takes me back to JMS's run. Stories about a few characters at a time and their back and forth. Diving into who they are, not so much the simple conflicts that the antagonist is presenting to Peter. Tombstone was for me an odd choice but a welcome one that I am very happy with his inclusion.
    Wells does some great dialogue for Peter here that had me chuckling. Cracking jokes will always be Peter's specialty but not all writers are gifted with being able to give that voice to Peter. Wells seems to have really captured it and it elevates this issue and parts of the whole arc. Levity is important.
    There more

Batmanaholic Jul 6, 2022

Great conclusion to this silencing arc, the mystery of what happened is still out there, but I imagine in issue 900 we will get some answers (hopefully) but Black Cat coming around is always welcome ( I like her more then mj after one more day ) and Pete going back to have dinner with aunt May.

Felicia gave him the words he needed to hear, and I think this run is going to be a classic. I can't wait for issue 7 to get here.

+ LikeComment
    Federico Liguori Jul 6, 2022

Another good issue, finally.
    Issue 4: Tombstone screws Spider-Man / Issue 5: Spider-Man screws Tombstone.
    I feel Peter's mysterious situation is leading to him being more reckless and aggressive. The scene of his confrontation with Tombstone is very weird for the "classic" Spidey, but his plan involving Digger is a great idea. Unfortunately, I think this storyline is done after this issue, and Zeb Wells will focus on something else for ASM #900.
    Please Marvel, keep this quality.

Afre Jul 6, 2022

For the first arc, this wasn't bad all. Of course, Nick Lowe cannot write a synopsis, even if his life depended on it, but we are sadly used to that by now.

But otherwise, I can't say I hated this. It was good. Sure, this doesn't have any revelations or answers for Peter's current life, so if you are after that, you gonna have to wait with the rest of us.

I don't really know either where Zeb will take us next. #900's premise doesn't seem that interesting (when Peter fought against 36 enemies at the same time, fighting a Adaptoid made only from 6 of them doesn't seem like a big foe), but hey, I'm ready to be pleasently surprised. I had been this far.

But maybe it's because I have zero expectations for this ru more

BDG Comics Jul 6, 2022

Wells: 9
    JRJR: 0

The book is well written and paced but JRJR's art is just dragging it down.. please Marvel, this dude is not his father, let him draw a Minecraft book or something.

+ LikeComments (1)
    Hydro-Man Jul 7, 2022

The storyline of the relaunch was not worthy of a relaunch.

Batmanchuria Aug 11, 2022