Amazing Spider-Man #74

Writer: Nick Spencer Artist: Patrick Gleason Publisher: Marvel Comics Release Date: September 29, 2021 Cover Price: $9.99 Critic Reviews: 8 User Reviews: 47

• It's AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #875, and the whole ASM team is coming together to bring you a massive issue that is the culmination of three years of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN!
•  It's all lead to this... "Hunted," "Sins Rising," "Last Remains," "King's Ransom," "Chameleon Conspiracy," "Sinister War"...and so much more all led to this climax and conclusion to Nick Spencer's landmark run on the best comic book in the world.
•  What will happen with Peter and MJ, Mysterio, J. Jonah Jameson, Norman Osborn, Aunt May and Kindred?! FIND OUT HERE!

Comic Watch - Jimmy Hayes Sep 29, 2021

One of my favorite Spider-Man issues in recent memory. You get a long-promised ending and a brand-new beginning and best of all, a lot of questions answered. Read Full Review

The Super Powered Fancast - Deron Generally Sep 29, 2021

Each of the artists deliver some great visual moments in the issue. The action is visually dynamic and the characters moments are perfectly captured. Read Full Review

But Why Tho? - Collier "CJ" Jennings Sep 29, 2021

Amazing Spider-Man #875 features a collection of all-star artists celebrating the web-slinger and marks the end of Nick Spencer's run on the title. Spencer's run had its ups and downs, but overall I feel comfortable placing him in the upper echelon of Spidey writers with J.M. DeMatteis and J. Michael Straczynski. And hopefully, the upcoming "Beyond" era will continue to deliver great Spidey stories as Ben Reilly once again takes up the mantle. Read Full Review

The Comicbook Dispatch - ozwoods Sep 29, 2021

Amazing Spider-Man #74 brings the story between Spider-Man and Kindred to a close. The fights between them are brutal with the art delivering a visceral experience for Spider-Man. The comic delivers answers about Kindred and ties in the three narrative threads of Norman, Harry & Carlie, and MJ back into the main plot. Now, this is not the ending that many fans were hoping for and will undoubtedly disappoint many, especially the side-story with Doctor Strange and Mephisto. Despite all of that, Nick Spencer does leave Spider-Man in a more positive place than he found him in. Read Full Review

AIPT - David Brooke Sep 29, 2021

Amazing Spider-Man#74 is a microcosm of one of this series' biggest problems: how long and drawn out it has all felt. Spencer's final issue does use that length to make the story feel big, and while it may not satisfy many, you can't say it ever shied away from what it wants to be. If you view this as an overly dramatic stage play it can be fun on some level, but for many, the best part about this issue is that the groan-inducing Kindred story is finally put to rest. Read Full Review

Comic Book Revolution - Kevin Lainez Oct 1, 2021

When all was said and done Amazing Spider-Man #74 accomplishes its job of wrapping up Nick Spencer's Kindred Saga that dominated his run on this series. To get to this ending Spencer and co-writer Christos Gage highlighted how convoluted this entire saga has been with the Osborn Family at the center of it. The convoluted nature of the Kindred Saga could've been wrapped up in a more satisfying fashion if it did not feel like we took the longest, most unnecessary road possible to get to this ending. But now that it is over we can just look towards a new future for the Spider-Man franchise. Read Full Review

ComicBook.com - Megan Peters Sep 29, 2021

A convoluted back-and-forth brings fans to a so-so ending that brings a thin conclusion to Peter's suffering at Kindred's hands. Read Full Review

Multiversity Comics - Quinn Tassin Oct 4, 2021

"The Amazing Spider-Man" #74 is a fittingly awful conclusion to a Spider-Man run that rarely understood what made the character so iconic. Read Full Review

Julhin Sep 29, 2021

Okay, i normally don't write long texts in my reviews, but i have a lot to say about this issue and this run as a whole. First things first: i'm a massive Nick Spencer fan, i absolutely ADORE Superior Foes, Morning Glories is amazing, The Fix is one of the funniest comics i have ever read, His Captain America run was really good(even though Secret Empire ended the way it did) and everything he did with Ant Man was awesome, i just love how much he takes advantage of canon to create his stories and i think he has a really unique sense of humor, and up until Last Remains i was REALLY enjoying this run, you can see my scores for this ASM volume to confirm that. I loved Back to Basics and it's simple but effective story, i loved how he handled c more

Afre Sep 29, 2021

EDIT: After reading that bleedingcool article that confirms that this was rushed (not rewritten) by the editorial due to Beyond storyline, I get why this is so disconnected from the other storylines. I feel sorry for Spencer because he had to rush this, but my opinion on the comic doesn't change which is the following:

Okay. I had to triple check that I read all the pages. Because all I could think was "wait what? Seriously? That's it?".

Apologies for my language beforehand. Yes, it's childish, but I just can't help myself.

This is garbage. A shitshow. Is this because OMD wasn't undone? No. Absolutely not.

Let's start with that. OMD can't be undone anymore. It's been 14 years. How could they even more

+ LikeComments (11)
    daspidaboy Sep 29, 2021

It comes with a heavy heart that I have to give this final issue a negative score. This will not have spoilers. Thanks Afre, Batman, Federico Ligueri and Jeff Plaza for explaining your thoughts more effectively than me.

Lets address the elephant in the room. The Art. I understand how art is supposed to be "subjective" but when the art isnt CONSISTENT, then its a big problem. I dont know what HAPPENED to nick Spencer and Marvel Comics, but after Last Remains the art in this series just TANKED and went in the ocean. This art..... yikes it makes me want to look away in shame. Mark Bagley and Patrick Gleason's art barely shows up here. The best art in this entire run was Sins Rising.

Lets address the second problem with th more

Federico Liguori Sep 29, 2021

Oh, people will be disappointed. And so am I. I'm not rating this 5/10 or less because the issue is actually good (except for the art that's sometimes dreadful). Yeah... this doesn't address One More Day in any shape or form. It looks like it was all about Harry's tormented soul and the Stacy twins in the end. So, what did Kindred want actually? Why did they hate Peter considering he saved them during Sins Past? Why did Harry spent like 50 issues saying it was all "Peter's fault" considering it was Norman who sold his soul to Mephisto? Why did Mysterio say that all of the chaos was triggered by "something Peter and MJ did"? Spencer, this is not a red herring, it's straight lying to you readers.
    This story's biggest sin is being a Osbo more

Jeff Plaza Sep 29, 2021

This was massive massive let down. I was on board Nick Spencer story untill Marvel Editiorical High jacked his book and rewrote it leaving this massively unsatisfying.

THIS.WAS GARBAGE. No way he left this conclusion before he left marvel. THERE ARE LITERALLY.PANELS and dialogue in the comic that look like that were deleted. The main one is the last pages where it looks like peter says something important to Mj( Proposal???) But its scribbled out!

THIS WAS GARBAGE!!

I hope one day Spencer can let us know what happened because marvel just gave a BIG F you to.fans and OMD haters

Psycamorean Sep 29, 2021

I honestly expected the reaction to this issue to actually be worse than it is. I didn't think OMD was getting undone, but now it's canon enough that MJ and Peter will stay together, which is all I wanted. Get rid of the half-assed romance subplots. Let Peter grow. I think this issue is a good example of reader assumption, and writer implication.

So first, reader assumption. Obviously, everyone thought this run was going to undo, or effectively undo, One More Day. We didn't get that. I see a lot of angry comments about Kindred's plan changing, or their reasoning changing, and that's not the case. We just assumed, as readers, that when Kindred was talking about Peter's and Norman's sins, they were talking about Peter making a deal more

+ LikeComments (81)
    omnicitycomics Sep 30, 2021

I really am sad to say that after 3 years and about 100 issues (with events, tie-ins, etc.), Nick Spencer’s run really went nowhere. Things happened sure, and I am extremely grateful that he undid the Gwen Stacy and Norman Osborn storyline — one of the most horrendous plot points in Spider-Man’s history in my opinion second only to One More Day. But the constant teasing, constant foreshadowing of “mind blowing” revelations, and constant retreading of the Kindred storyline made for a dragged out read with lukewarm payoffs. I hate to say, it even felt like a chore at times getting through a storyline. The initial reveal that Kindred’s driving force was to make Peter suffer for his sins ended up feeling flat after we learn that he more

Doku Sep 29, 2021

Let’s be clear. Spencer, Lowe and Co. needed over 80 issues to complete the Kindred arc. 80+ issues! Repeat that again to yourself and you begin to realize just how absurd this whole fiasco really was. Then to top it off it was completely incoherent storytelling. There are only two possible explanations…either it’s total incompetence by the editorial staff or a shameless cash grab. I’m not sure what’s worse, but I do know that without a complete changeover in editorial, we’re in for more of the same. This is Marvel’s flagship character. The fans and the Spider-man legacy deserve better.

superstan52 Sep 30, 2021

Something is definitely amiss. Months ago Dr. Strange bursts into Mephisto's lair and asks "What have you done to Peter Parker?" Now, months later, he's concerned with Harry Osborn's clone? PP produced a wedding ring months ago. What happened with that? MJ starts to admit something to Peter, it's interrupted and never referred to again. Norman Osborn sells his son's soul to the devil and then cries - over his clone! - that he was always "enough" for him. WTF? For years there was one Kindred, and now suddenly there are two. Don't even get me started on trying to figure out who created Kindred or what all those "sins" were about - or why Kindred was so obsessed with them. Sooo many red herrings and months of build-up that went nowhere.

Comicsfan1994 Sep 29, 2021

Great ending for Spencer’s run on ASM. Did not give fans everything they wanted but it was a very enjoyable issue. It definitely set right some of the biggest wrongs leading up to OMD

Hydro-Man Sep 29, 2021

So, the culmination of Spencer’s run is… Green Goblin revisionist history.

I get a lot of people are going to hate this comic and find this run disappointing overall but overall I enjoyed it. Perfect? Not by any stretch. A lot of enjoyable moments throughout? Yes. And that’s asking a lot coming off the last time Spencer did a lengthy run on one book. At least this one ended with him trying to clean up someone else’s mess instead of bitterly defending a mess of his own making.

The Batman Sep 29, 2021

Not a terrible conclusion to his run but I wasn't so impressed by it nor did I think it needed this many issues to get to this point. The multiple artist problem is something I'm willing to set aside because it's pretty common for issues like these to have multiple artists. But yeah. This comic is not a waste of my money but I think this could've been a lot better. At least I have something pretty to display on my shelf.

So happy that this run is over. Bring on Ben Reilly and the Beyond Corporation!

Dc Fan of Sorts Sep 30, 2021

We waited this many issues for this?

Toonstrack Sep 29, 2021

Sorry folks. I dug this. Alot.

I binged most of this final arc in one or 2 sittings. Was it convoluted? Immensely. But was it good? Yes.

Its hard to end a final run in a way that pays homage to the character but also concludes the story satisfactorily. I feel this achieved its goal. Its not perfect but the scenes of Mephisto describing why he recently torments his enemy was just so great. And it is written very well, managing to finish up all of its loose ends in a good way.

I wasn't sure if I was going to go for Beyond. But I think I'll give thus first arc a shot.

+ LikeComment
    Ben Reilly Sep 30, 2021

Before I begin my review, let me just preface it by saying this:

1) SPOILERS FROM HERE ON OUT. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

**************************************************************

2) Any reader who was expecting a One More Day reversal/retcon and the Parker Marriage returning should hold themselves accountable for feeling frustrated that it didn't happen in this issue. Not Marvel. Not Nick Spencer. Not the editors. Those readers themselves. No one in the making of this run said that they were going to do a One More Day reversal/retcon. In fact, Spencer even said in a podcast interview that he got Peter and MJ together because no one said they couldn't be together, they just can't be married (I"ll get more more

+ LikeComments (4)
    Super-Adaptoid Sep 29, 2021

Let me make it clear that I do not like Nick Spencer. Never have. In fact, he blocked me on Twitter years ago because I dared to call him out on a few things.

But when he started his ASM run, I gave it a shot. Three issues and I thought it was stupid and took it off my pull list. But then I started hearing about Kindred…and the mystery of who he was…and it reminded me of the good old days when we had the Jackal…and Carrion…and those mysteries…so I bought all the back issues and got caught up. And I’ve been buying ever since.

It ends here and I am satisfied. Didn’t undo OMD and I didn’t expect it to really. I hoped…but that’s ok.

Overall, I’m happy with Spencer’s run. I enjoyed it and more

allenquanobi Sep 29, 2021

The 5 is for the art. I forced myself to catch-up on this series to get to the end, which was supposed to wrap up the story in a satisfying way. Instead, we get a half assed rushed conclusion that leads to what we already got earlier in the run, which is that Peter and MJ are together forever. Spencer is a good writer, this is shown in his previous Marvel runs. But I think it’s hard to say this was a good spider man run. It started off with such promise, but then began to become dragged along to this anti climactic conclusion where none of the characters have changed really. It’s a pretty unremarkable run from a remarkable writer. Maybe his departure to sub stack had an effect on the quality of this book. I can’t say I’m loo more

Kalaoui Oct 1, 2021

What a waste. Disappointing in every aspect.

Merlyn Sep 29, 2021

I'm sorry but after all the hype Spencer built all these years, after all the convoluted storytelling he went after at times... this is the best he could come up with? No. I'm sorry, but no. He put all his eggs in this one basket and the omelette we got was terrible, nothing he did here helped any character in a useful way, maybe Norman because he's less of an ass but that's it. Art didn't help either. Hell, the other stories were actually better than the main one!

Rachit Mittal Sep 30, 2021

Ended not the way I expected but still a good ending.
    Mayday future of dethroning Mephisto was what I always imagined. Atlast it's canon now.

DDJamesB Oct 5, 2021

If your take away the aspect that this is supposed to be an epic conclusion to a 3 year story its actually not horrible. I enjoyed reading it too be honest. I just try not to think about the fact it took 73 issues it took to try and get us to this point.

Stormwrath Sep 29, 2021

Is was ok, the art is fine, but the ending lacked impact for such a giant run

UxasIs Oct 3, 2021

What a mess...

MasterComics Oct 1, 2021

A great disappointment the way that the comic company is having to make the issues increasingly soft and childish this does not even reach the T rating. Boring.

jbong Oct 3, 2021

I've started reading more manga than comics (no, not because comics are too woke or whatever, that doesn't bother me). The stories there are infinitely more diverse and fresher. Comic book history baggage have led us to...this garbage. As much as I hated OMD, I would really rather them just move on than try to fix the past. No one cares.

At least we'll be getting new creatives on this book soon...

ADWE Sep 30, 2021

The main story is hard to read and doesn't deliver on almost any end.
    At least the art and backup issues are good.

yawwwwwn